cell phone self-portrait

cell phone self-portrait
things are looking up

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Nostalgia and Memorabilia

"Till We Meet Again": http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/tillwemeetagain.htm

"God Be With You Till We Meet Again"

(These are two different songs, but I wanted to include the link for the first one, which is from 1918 and is lovely). The one Papa Moon refers to in his letter is this one:

"God be with you till we meet again;
By His counsels guide, uphold you,
With His sheep securely fold you;
God be with you till we meet again.

Till we meet, till we meet,
till we meet at Jesus' feet;
Till we meet, till we meet,
God be with you till we meet again." (Jeremiah Rankin, 1880)



Today, I'm browsing through postcards, photos, etc. of my own and of my grandparents and parents. They include: a letter from the U.S. Government to Oscar Moon, date?; poem from Oscar Moon (my grandfather) to my grandmother, 1935; letters from my grandmother (Dollie Jeanette Moon) to my grandfather and vice-versa, in 1935 (before they were married) and 1945, when he was Private Oscar F. Moon; a letter from Nathaniel Moon, my great-grandfather, to his son, 1945; a letter from Dollie and two of her children (Larry and Mary) to Oscar, 1945; a letter from another of her children, Dexter, to Dollie and Oscar, 1961; a letter from my great-grandmother, Mary Lou Hyatt (Dollie's mother), to Dollie; letters from my grandmother's friends, Gladys and Mildred, 1935; and a letter from my mother (Sylvia) to Dollie and Oscar, 1970. There are a few business transaction papers also dated in the 1930's and 40's.

In the letter featured here, Papa Moon is writing by the light of the moon, lying on his bunk at Camp Blanding, 1945. I thought it would be nice to include a photo of the moon as it might have looked to him that night, and also a selection from the book, Goodnight Moon (it's the page that says, "Papa, please get me the moon.")

No comments: